Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

More 2006 Trip to England

Monday, May 29, 2006 (12:05am)

It’s not really that would be Arizona time, the computer does not update either, not England time which I think is 9 hours difference, so it is really 8:30 am.

Taking a shower was a bit of a trick, not much room in there, but got it done. Next was to use one of the three razors I had brought with me. Off to the water closet to find none of them worked without removing skin. The sink is about 6 inches edge to wall, soap dispenser over the sink is about 4 inches edge to wall, so bending down to get water on your face equaled banging my head twice till I got it. Just had an English breakfast of cereal, scrambled eggs, bacon, not so tasty sausage, toast, coffee and juice all included in the price of the dorm. Add razors to my list of things to buy, now where is the closest Wal Mart?

I figured it would be a good day for getting in shape by walking about, which I think will take a few more days; well maybe more then a few more days? Wearing my cheap Wal Mart sandals along with my full backpack I set off. The sandals are going to go bye-bye cause they made my feet ache. My legs ached, my feet ached, and my back ached and I noticed my nose ached? Checking out my glasses I found that one of the pads had fallen off which left a sharp piece of metal sticking into my nose. So lets see pain or not see what I’m reading, or writing? Compromise comes to mind, see a little, pain a little right now it is pain. I guess I’ll look for some Scotch Tape and build a pad that should look better the using a bunion pad.

Today I when back to Salisbury Cathedral to take some pictures inside, but yesterday, because it was Sunday, was free today is not. At 6£ I could buy a postcard, in fact I could buy lots of postcards. Off I went to a free park, soon it began to rain so off in search of some place to get out of it. I visited the train station which is only open in the summer; really! Trains do not come here in the winter according the schedules. Don’t ask me I’m just a visitor. Then into town where I wander through the few stores that are open and end up in a book store. Can you believe that? I was just taken the backpack off and was sitting down to look at a map when I was told they were closing; I smile. Today is a bank holiday the stores that were open get to close early

My friend Gary told me that things you didn’t need would go away and things you needed would come to you. So far no bike, but the sandals are gone. The bike shop was not open yesterday, nor would it be open today. I thought about going back to Southampton, which we pasted through on the bus ride here, in order go to Toys R Us; I kid you not. I did a double take as the bus put into the Southampton bus terminal and dead ahead was a Toys R Us. Now where is Wal Mart? No I’ll wait until tomorrow to go to the bike shop which means I have to stay another day here. That’s O.K. I’ve not seen Stonehenge yet. I found a Starbucks which has a T-mobile hotspot, bought a pickle and cheese sandwich(English thing), some coffee, hooked up the computer, paid for some air time, and off to cyberspace I went. Then it was time for dinner at a local Pub today they cook meals.

According to the guide books this is where you go to meet locals and make friends. Did I mention most of the people here don’t use the words "excuse me?" They just push on by, head down, no eye contact. I smile at people walking down the street and I become invisible, this is England not New York City right? So I get to a Pub and stand there for awhile but, no one comes around to seat me, I figure I’ll seat myself. There I sit, and sit, and sit. The waitress and waiters look at me, I smile and become invisible, one of the barmaids(I did not smile at her) walks over and asks if I ordered, to which I answer "no." She leaves looking like she is looking for some one to take my order, I sit.

I sit and sit and sit some more which is much beyond my five minute rule. What is my five minute rule you ask, if I have not been waited on within five minutes of being seated I leave. Now I had read in the Guide book that the English do not like loud, pushy Americans. I got tired of waiting get up and walkout. "You don’t want my money I’ll just go somewhere else." I say to myself not wanting to be loud or pushy. I stop at a fish and chip store, the guy behind the counter asked what I wanted. Duh maybe some fish and chips? I think to myself not wanting to be loud or pushy. I say "Fish and Chips please." He wrote down my order, looked at me and said "Isthereanythingelse" as one word. I said "I sorry I did not understand you." He said "ISTHEREANYTHINGELSE" as if saying it louder would help me understand. A nice young lady intervened at this point "He said. Is there anything else?" Ahhh "No thank you." Off I went with my fish and chips back to the hostel.

Now there is a woman from Bombay staying there who now lives in London, she is on holiday. Almost every time I sit anywhere in the hostel usually working on ths journal, or just sitting taking things in, she comes over to talk. There is another American male staying here, the guy from the bus station, who she talks to also, I hoped that she is talking to him when I arrive. I enter the dinning room, praise the hostel gods she is, I eat reading my guide book. It explains that in a Pub you order from the bar first then go sit down at any free table, the food will be brought to you; I’ll try again tomorrow for dinner at a real English Pub. I plug my computer in after I finish eating so I can journal. The Indian woman is done talking to the other American so over she comes to talk to me. I write, she talks, I smile, she talks, I give small answers, she talks, I am not loud and pushy, God how badly I want to be loud and pushy. No matter where I go she finds me to ask questions or talk, usually the same question she had asked the day before.

Now this may sound anti social, but there is a reason. She has asked several times if I am married, where I live, what it’s like to life there, and what I do for a living. My therapist, Susan, tells me if it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, and looks like at duck I can be assured it is someone who is interested in me. O. K. time to go to bed; alone!

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 (1:11pm)

Today I bought a tour bus trip to Stonehenge. Off I go on the upper level of a double Decker bus which has a tour guide explaining all the sites along the way. Now I am a tourist! English roads are very narrow and we fly along with the hedges inches from my face. Cars coming at us look as if they will hit us head on, then whiz on by. I feel as if I’m on the Mr. Toads ride at Disneyland. The Bus is heading straight at a building only to turn with in inches of hitting it careening down the road to a traffic circle. They love traffic circles in England putting them everywhere. First one in gets the right of way, in we fly or we stop on a dime. The bus gets so close to the car in front of us that you can see the dead bugs on the window. The guide announces "There is Stonehenge on the rise in front of the bus." I open my eyes, yes its there, close them again until we arrive.

Ancient, beautiful, surreal, untouchable, big, but really, really small. There is only one time during the year when people are still allowed to go amount the stones. On the summer solstice thousands come here to watch the sun rise. One story reports the stones were dragged 80 to 120 miles by a people who had no machines. Then dressed, stood upright, with an even bigger stone placed on top. All in a very tight space. Sharp corners, tight fitting joints, only a few feet apart. Some destroyed now, some reinforced to keep them from falling to the ground. Some already fallen because of attacks on the site by Christians of long ago, some just do to age. We have a whole fifteen minutes to look then back to Salisbury we go. It’s OK! The guide, who almost got me to be loud and pushy, said "Merlyn did not bring them from Ireland, and they were not levitated into place!" Was she there? According to her a 1000 men dragged the stones to this spot on logs used as rollers. Shades of the pyramid builders. I like the Merlyn version better. You can feel the Ley Lines pull as you walk around the circle. According to her 23 radiate out from the center of Stonehenge; just by accident.

She points out in the distance at burial mounds of the people who built Stonehenge. These mounds had a burial chamber under them with only one person in it. They were for the important members of the clan. Many of these mounds contained the remains of woman who occupied high positions among their people. We pass very close to several of this burial mounds on the way back that are situated on Ley lines, they look so powerful.

On the way to Stonehenge we pass the town Amesbury. The Guide points to a church that was once the site of an large abbey. She tell us that this the Abbey Arthur sent Guenevere after he found out about her affair with Lancelot. It is reported that she lived there until her death. When Lancelot learned she had died, he came to the Abby to take her body to be buried with Arthur at Glastonbury. Lancelot had become a monk visiting her here many times over the years. When he laid Guenevere to rest with Arthur he became so depressed, at the lose of both the friends he love the most, that he died soon after. The river Avon, on which Arthur was born to be buried at Glastonbury or Avalon runs through both sites. As soon as I got off the bus I knew where I would be headed next; Amesbury.

We arrived back at Salisbury and I walked through the town market, which happens twice a week, in the old market square where it has been happening for over 500 years. I bought some
wonderful cheese, bread and fruit. I also purchased a jacket because it is very, very cool. Then I purchased something I have never owned in my life. Now I own a "brally" yes indeed I purchased my first umbrella. I board a double decker bus to Amesbury where it is a short walk to what is left of the Abbey.

There is a small Norman church here now and I begin to look around. I learn that this was once a very large Abbey estate and the church is all that is left. The rest was destroyed when the Dissolution of the Monasteries happened so Henry the VIII could get himself a new wife. Here to on this site pagan and christen religions found a way to co-exist. There has been some form of "church" on this site since 200 BC. The monastery is long gone, but you can see it, no feel it, it is still here. Looking down path through the deep woods I can see/feel it sitting there. There along side the lake you can see the nuns walking in quite reflection. Arthur comes here one last time, before the battle with Modred, to see Guenevere. I become light headed with a sense of becoming part of the past when I touch the trees and buildings.

I am not wanting to leave but it is late and I have to catch my bus. As I approach the bus stop I see a bike shop with used bikes outside. I talk a look at the prices, my bike has come to me, well kind of. I head back to Glastonbury and am ready to make some decisions about where to go next and how.

No comments:

Post a Comment