Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

England 2009 Part 1

England 2009 – Part One
Sunday, May 17, 2009
Yesterday was my son had his annual birthday for his daughter, McKenna, and Spring Fling Party. It is a party he plans all year, inviting as many friends and family that can be found. There was as lease forty in attendance made up of kids and adults. There were several there who were in a church youth group which was in charge of while living in Kingman, AZ. It is great to see a group of people now in their forty’s still in touch with each other sharing their lives. People came from Florida, Texas and California as well as Arizona to gather in 100 degree heat to swim, drink, eat, and laughter.

A highlight of the evening was the performance of a rock bank put together by my son-in-law; Mike. It was great to see him just let go and get entirely in to his music. This was the coming out party for the band McCullin(Check spelling). He even wrote a birthday song, which he sang, for McKenna in fact he sang all the songs the band played allowing me to witness a new side of him. Great Job Mike!

The person from Florida was my mother, whom I had flown for a two week visit. Today we would head to the airport at different times she to head back to Florida, I to head to England. Needing to be at the airport by 7am I left my son’s house at 4:30am saying good bye to mother while worrying if she would get to the airport on time. Since starting to travel to England I have been plagued by the fear of not getting to the airport in time for my flights. So something new to think about on this trip since it is supposed to be a serendipitous trip. If things do not go according to plan punt was the game plan, right? However it seems there is some lurking process which does not allow 100 percent serendipity.

I arrive at Mark’s where I’ll be leaving my car during the trip. He is waiting and has called for a cab to take us to the airport. We are excited and nervous to be off on our adventure. Having told Mark about my agitation concerning missing the plane he has made sure we are at the airport by 5am. On the way he tells the cab driver he is going the long way and redirects him to a different route. I’m thinking the driver wanted to go the longer way to up his take on the fare. We arrive to a long line waiting to check in our bags, no extra fees for me this year, but It goes rather quickly. Now to get through security without mishap would be a blessing. By 5:30am we are at our gate with time to spare. We get a snack and settle in to wait for boarding at 6:30am, Mark asks if I am now relaxed. “Not until we’re on the plane!”

We are off with a high five on our adventure, well at least to Atlanta. Mark is in the row ahead of me and since the flight is full there seems no chance of switching seats. I chat with my seat mate who is heading Georgia to see her grandchildren. Mark is busy tapping away on his computer writing for his b log about the trip. We arrive in Atlanta find our next gate then grab some Panda Express, yuck. Mark heads off to fine a mail box which, according to the Information desk, is on the other side of the airport. We find a place to wait for the boarding of our plane, which allows time for Mark to tap away on his computer.

Upon boarding it seem my seat is next to a really nice looking lady; however she is in the wrong seat. She moves when the true occupant arrives to take his seat. He is a rather grizzled looking gentleman who, when I attempt to make conversation, informs me he is deaf from a previous flight. Oddly whenever the stewardess asks him a question he can hear quite well. Find I don’t want to talk to you either. Mark is across the aisle from me tapping away on his computer. I watch some movies, eat, not much to enjoy, dinner, watch another move. Mark is watching a movie also during which we chat now and then. It is time to attempt to get some sleep. I’ve advised Mark to reduce jet lag he should attempt to get some sleep on the fight over. He seems not to be able to sleep, and sleep seems to be elusive for me also. On prior flights I’ve been able to blow up a pillow and prop it on the fold down trap and sleep. However, on this plane this is a bit of a problem called my stomach. It is quite in the way and disgusts me that it has gotten out of control. (POSTED 5/19/09)

No comments:

Post a Comment