Search This Blog

Thursday, May 15, 2014

Canada to Dublin

Wednesday, May 14, 2014, 1:17 AM Phoenix time

One hour to landing in Ireland then a long day of travel to reach Salisbury.  So Air Canada has managed to hit strike three being poor service, bad food and no in-flight entertainment.  I settle in to my extra leg room seat which is facing a bulk head.  I search the walls and ceilings for monitors for in-flight entertainment and find none.  Shortly after takeoff “dinner” is served and I’m asked if I would like pasta or chicken.  I say pasta thinking spaghetti in sauce but receive noodles with meat.  I ask for my complementary wine that every airline I've been on serves.  However, not Air Canada they charge $12.00 for a plastic glass of wine.  I’m considering looking for another airline to get home on as this is the worst experience I've had flying in ever.   I cannot wait to get off this plane and away from Air Canada.   I have checked my email and still have not received the promised discount code the service center supervisor said would be sent.  This is fine my me as I have no intention of ever setting foot on another Air Canada flight.

Upon arrival at Dublin I’ll take a bus to the Irish Ferry terminal.  From there I’ll travel to Holyhead via ferry, then train to Salisbury.  The expected time of arrival there is 11 PM which should give me enough time to get to the YHA and check in for the night.  That is if all goes well.  If not I’ll pitch my tent stretch out and go to sleep.  I did this route last year with Mark and enjoyed both rides which gave me time to relax and collect my thoughts.  There are always tables to sit at on the ferry with electric connections.  I can’t remember if the ferry had Wi-Fi last year.  However, the terminal did so I should be able to connect with the family.  My ticket on the train should give me seat at a table also.  Some of the trains in the U.K. now have electric outlets by the tables and some have Wi-Fi.


Out of the airport looked for a bus to get to the Irish Ferry port.  Everyone I ask looks at me as if I were asking them how to get to the moon.  Last year Mark and I traveled to the port and back from city center so that’s where I head.  Bus drives past the ferry port, then past the city center, I get off the bus and head to a central bus stop.  Guy there tells me I have to walk couple of blocks toward the Spire and get bus 53.  This is not what we did last year, screw it I hail a cab.  Nice chat with David, the driver, as we head back the way I just came.  Just another adventure!  Checking in at the Ferry Port goes smoothly with time for a cup of coffee.  We’re off a very smooth crossing which allows me to nap a bit, read a bit and we’re in Holyhead.  Off the ferry on to the waiting train which will whisk me to Salisbury.  Well maybe not whisk as it will be almost a seven hour train ride.   I’m back in the U.K. for the ninth year kind of melancholy experience traveling alone again.

No comments:

Post a Comment