Search This Blog

Sunday, May 11, 2008

England 2008

Saturday, May 10, 2008

Catching up while sitting in a Pub on the Internet having a Lamb and Mint burger.

Sometimes you just have to smile, going with the flow, wondering why there is a need to get excited over an event that is over and gone in a few minuets.

So the plane takes off on time, arrives on time, I get to the next plane just as it is beginning to load, take off on time, land on time. New terminal South instead of North, confused, grrrrrr, get through customs, get bag all is well.

Delta is great, roomy planes, good food, and nice people. I sit next to Diane on the way to England. She is semi-retired, lives around Tampa, and is headed to Italy for a week, then to NY, then to somewhere else. One noisy kid a few seats up who screams for no reason apparent other then she can, grrrr. This year I use the bus which is less expensive and ends up close to the YHA in Salisbury. Large man gets on the bus, sits next to me, grrrrrrr, he gets a seat and a half, I get a half. Bright side he doesn’t smell!

Arriving in Salisbury I’m reminded of the first time I arrived at this bus station spending about an hour wandering around. Now off I go with out a wink, happy to be back in this town. My suitcase has a pull out handle, which promptly falls apart, grrrrrrrrrr. The manufacture must have expected this, as there is a back up handle sown on. On the trip two zippers have broken, a piece of cardboard has poked two holes in the material, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

After procuring a bed at the YHA its off to the train station to see if my bike is still there. Here is a picture of it still tied to the bike rack, nothing missing, not even a flat tire. However it is covered with what I think is diesel grit from the train. My pants will get dirty riding it, Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Heading out of the train station, my phone rings there is no chance this is anyone but my daughter yep it’s her. Back to the YHA, but first a stop at Pound Land for some stuff to clean up the bike. Oh, a quick stop at the bookstore to check out the maps I’ll need.

My clean bike stands beside me as I have dinner, sitting on a bench along side the river Avon. Beautiful day, soothing water, the birds are singing, all is well.

MMMMMMM this is Saturday, I arrived on Thursday what did I do with Friday? I did nothing, well almost nothing. I spent the better part of the day sewing another trunk for my bike. Mark had bought me a front pannier mount that fits this bike just great. So there is now a trunk front and back. Also watched T.V. and took a nap in the sun, yep I did. Today was town market day that is great fun to wander through.

Riding down one street there was need to do a double take. Low and behold walking down the street was Ainhoa. She is the woman from Spain that I met here last year. We make plans to hang out tomorrow. This year I have met Christina from Germany. She is on a “walkabout” to decide what to do with her law degree.

Today lunch is under a tree while pursuing a rail map of Europe. I’m picking a route to Austria. So pretty much I have not accomplished a whole lot by most peoples standards.

However, I think I have accomplished a great deal.

Oh yes then there are the cows. My ride today takes me past a herd of cows, like I don’t get to see cows in Arizona. I stop. The whole freaking herd comes over to the fence to stare at me. Slowly some approach the fence, I move, they jump back. I am inspected, like some alien from outer space by a herd of cows! As I move along the cows behind me move up to the fence. I stop; I back up, and they move away from the fence. I move toward the fence they back up, I step back from the fence they move toward it. Their noses are working overtime trying to smell me. One is brave enough to sniff my extended fingers. It jumps back shaking its head as if to be rid of the smell. Screw you cow I smell better then you do. They follow me up and down the fence.

I say no more, make of it what you will, but I had a darn good time with the cows.

Tomorrow the bike will be fully loaded as it is ridden to the campground. Time to try out the new tent and cook stove. Monday I’m having the bike overhauled in an attempt to prevent a break down. So I’m thinking I’ll hit the road my Tuesday for more adventures.

1 comment:

  1. A man named Carl did opine
    About such things that were bovine
    He extended his hand
    In old England
    But of course, the cows did decline.

    ReplyDelete