Search This Blog

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Dublin




Saturday, May 11, 2013                                Dublin

The sun rise was beautiful and its rays danced on the wing outside my window.  The ground could not be seen as it was covered with pure white clouds.  As we descended through the clouds the clouds turned gray, rain streamed off the wing, and Ireland when it came into view was a drab green.  As we approached the captain reported the temperature was 44 degrees on the ground and I’m in shorts.  It was 7:35 this morning when we arrived at the gate.  I now had two things to do, one was find my bag and the other was to find Mark.  He was supposed to get here before me but as the faiths would have it that is not the case.  Since the plane I arrived on was not the plane that my bag would have been on I needed to find out where it was.  We whizzed through customs and I get a chuckle at being asked yet again “You really like the UK don’t you?”  “Yes I do…love it.”  “Have a great stay!” and I’m off looking for the customer service office.

After wandering about a bit I come upon it then get into line.  I’m behind a young couple that appears to be completely bewildered and seem to believe there luggage has not arrived with them.  The young man announces from the carousel that he has found their bags.   The young lady begins to move toward him with a look of non-belief on her face.  Her face seems to be saying that he was not capable of identifying and gathering their luggage.  “How can we help?” and I explain the situation of late planes, changed plans and arriving early.  He makes a call then tells me my bag is in Chicago and will be here tomorrow.  Then he wants to know where I’d like it delivered?  I happen to have the address where Mark made the reservations for out stay in Dublin.  O.K. one problem solved, except I have no change of clothes until tomorrow, but what the hell.  Now it is time to find Mark.

Two hours later Mark comes through the door into the waiting area.  I’ve watched many reunions during that time.  Now it’s time to venture outside hunt down a bus and head to our digs for the next six days.  It is a gray day outside the winds is blowing the rain around and people are bundled walking slanted into it.  After a short bus ride we find out accommodations which, if the bus driver had not told me where to look, we would have passed right by.  Oops too early to check in lets walk around town a bit.  Sun comes out, goes away, rain comes down in buckets, goes away, repeat.  We duck in to doorways to get out of the rain along with most everyone else on the street.   Lots of small streets with little shops, the restaurants have, mostly girls, standing outside wanting you to look at their menus.  We stop at Starbucks for some Wi-Fi connection and coffee.  Then we head back to the Hostel for directions to the train station and the Ferry Port.

At the train station we purchase tickets for our ride to Salisbury.  I’ll finally get to see, however briefly, Holyhead the last holdout of the Druids again the Roman army.  I spend time at the Hostel while Mark goes in search of a phone store to buy a chip.  While on the internet three young ladies, who I later find out, are scientists in the making, join me.  They are from Bath, UK, Germany, Northern Ireland and all are working on their PhD’s who will soon be scientists.  We spent the evening talking until it is time for them to head out to party.  It is time to get some rest wondering what tomorrow will bring.

No comments:

Post a Comment