Search This Blog

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Tuesday, May 21, 2013
1:40 PM Arizona, 9:40 PM Devizes UK

So the thing is that there always seems to be a theme that pops up about these journeys.  Sometimes it takes a while for them to appear and other times they become apparent quite quickly.   Today on my ride back to the campground I decided to stop and sit at a bench along the canal.  I chose this particular bench because on the ride in this morning there was a young woman sitting there with earphone wires disappearing into here auburn hair.  As I rode up she had the most amazing smile as if she were very glad to see me.  I said good morning as did she and I rode on.  Sitting on the bench later felt remorseful that I had not stopped and talked to her.  As I sat there this evening a puppy belonging to a young woman bounded over to me.  The young lady followed and we struck up a conversation.   Her name was Nicole and the pups name was Murphy who was four months old.  Within a few minutes we exchanged quite a lot of information about ourselves and families.

She was from Robin Hood country and her partner was in the military currently based in the Falkland’s.   It was nice to just chat with no agenda involved.  It is a shame that all conversations cannot take on that kind of openness.  But, for some reason some conversations which would be productive don’t happen or happen too late to be of any use.  Like the conversation about feelings for another person seem to be the most difficult.  Often it is made difficult by whatever reasons that the mind builds up that it would not be a good thing to do.  How many times have I not stopped and had the conversation I wanted to only to regret it later?  How many times have I not had a conversation because my head has rationalized it would make no sense to have it?  Sadly, reflecting on that thought, far too often, far, far too often.  Then when brave enough to speak my truth it is far too late.

This is probably the fourth time I’ve been to Devizes usually just for an overnight stay then on to Bath in the morning.  This time I decided that I’d like to spend a day here just to look around.  The days are still a bit chilly not getting much over 55 degrees.  The sky continues to be over cast with gray clouds through which the sun peaks but not often.  The Kennet – Avon Canal here is a master piece of engineering.   There are 29 closely placed locks built in the 1800’s that once moved goods to and from markets.  Now it is used mostly by pleaser boaters who travel or live on the canal.  The boats are handsomely decorated with vibrant colors, plants and pottery.  Some of the old canal barges were turned into pleasure boats, but now they are built from scratch from to the owners likes.  I always thought my brother in law Vic would like to take one down the canal.  They putter along at about three miles an hour just enough to give it some maneuverability.   Since the canal is a fairly straight affair with a few long turns the boats don’t need to be that maneuverable. 

There is a Norman church here built in 1130 by the same bishop that built the cathedral in Salisbury that I love so.  It still has three sections of walls that are from the original church.  The church was locked and I asked some ladies raking up cut grass from between the grave stones when it would be open.  A key was fetched and I was allowed in for a look about.   When I left there was a fellow, who sounded Irish, out front practicing his juggling.   I've walked around town, had some lunch at the local Wetherspoons, purchased a tire pump for my bike, and found some sweet peppers for snacks.  Mark comes out from Wetherspoons, where he has sequestered himself for most of the day, to walk around the town.  We decide to have dinner the as Mark does not want to cook at the campground.  I head back to the campground alone as I’ve had enough screaming kids for one day.


Mark catches up to me and we ride the canal back to the campground.  I explain to Mark that I want to head back to Salisbury and not continue on to Bath.  I show him the route back, different from the one we used to get here He is not enthusiastic about it and wants to ride the canal to the next town then take a train back to Salisbury.  I would prefer to ride as I need to get in shape if I’m to ride in Spain.  We go separated ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment