Search This Blog

Friday, July 6, 2018

What happened to “You’re Welcome?”


When I was growing up one of the things I was prompted to say was “You’re Welcome.” Any time someone said “Thank you” the proper response was “You’re Welcome.” I was told constantly that this was a sign of good manners. Any child not giving this response was quickly reminded by the closest adult “What do you say (insert name).” Once the proper response was spoken the adult would reward you with “Good boy or girl.” Of course “Thank you” was also treated in this manner as was “Please or May I.”  It became second nature that these words and the correct response were uttered in all situations requiring them.

“Would you like a cookie?” “Yes Please.” “Here you go.” “Thank you.” “You’re welcome.” “What a polite young girl or boy.”

Everyone smiled at a job well done. I was raised to say “May I have another one?” But, this was asked only at home, you never asked that question when you were at someone else’s home.  If the person in whose home you were visiting asked if you’d like another the correct response was “No thank you” even if you wanted it. Also at the dinner table in another’s home one never asked for more or accepted a second helping. This was done by pretty much everyone and was taught to my children when they arrived in the world.  It was also taught to my grandchildren.

However, not long ago people stopped saying “Your welcome.”  It was replaced by “No Problem.” When my “Thank you” is responded to with “No problem” I was taken aback and chalked it up to improper up bring.  Several times, when in a particularly bad mood, I’d say “I’m glad to hear that. But, I really don’t care if it was a problem or not.” The person receiving this remark would look at me stunned as if I’d just said something that was in-comprehendible to them. As if they had never heard of any other response to “Thank you” but that one. On a few occasions I’d receive them, in my estimation, the correct response to my “Thank you” and I would say “Thank you for saying Your Welcome.” Again the person would look at me not understanding my meaning

It seems now commonplace to respond with “No problem” whether young or old. “You’re Welcome seems to be dyeing a slow death. Not only here but in Europe also the “No Problem” has taken over as the correct response to “Thank you.” I think it’s time to fight back against this barbaric reply. It is time to that the bull by the horns. From henceforth I shall begin to ask the question “Did I ask you if it was a problem?” and await a reply. Dull looks will be met with yet another question “Did you not understand what I asked you?” I personally find nothing wrong with saying “Your welcome” when someone had done something for me. When someone asks me if what I’ve done for them was problematic I’ll respond “No, no problem at all” which in my estimation is the only time “No Problem” is an acceptable response.


What do you think about the disappearance of “You’re Welcome?”  

2 comments:

  1. In many platforms, I like to find an amazing travel blogger and their amazing photos. I also love to travel. (in a few days we went Northern Norway to honeymoon, and I also have a couple of trips planned but in my case more towards the east of the continent), I will tell you some of the most popular Instagram page like https://www.instagram.com/northernnorwaytravel/ in which has one of most decent and spectacular picture. Also, recommend to share it to feel wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you I will check it out. I have more pictures on www.carlseuropetours.com

      Delete