Search This Blog

Friday, May 18, 2012

Greetings From Spain


Tuesday, May 15, 2012
7:11 AM Arizona, 3:11 PM Spain

Greetings from Spain!  Lisa met me at the camp ground as we planned to leave St Jean early this morning around 6 AM.    There are two routes over the Pyrenees one is the Route Napoleon, and the other is the Valcarlos route.  The Route Napoleon is the more traditional route, but is more strenuous then the Valcarlos route.  Due to Lisa’s recent foot surgery we decided it would be better take the less strenuous route.  Lisa stayed at a Refugio last night while I opted to camp out at a nearby campground.  After dinner I returned to the campground and began sorting through my stuff, yet again.   I discovered that I had not brought my patch kit which contained my wine bottle opener.  As agreed Lisa arrived at the campground around 6 AM and we discussed our options as a patch kit was a definite must for me.  She would go on while I picked up a patch kit at the local bike shop which did not open until 9 AM.  I’d catch up with her later on the Valcarlos route which we had chosen to travel.

For some reason it was a bit daunting to ride through this hilly town.   After walking and then riding I reached the bike shop which was not yet open.  There I met Honrey from Germany who was going to do the Camino on bike also.  We talked until two more Camion riders came along.  Soon the shop opened and I was able to purchase not only the patch kit but, also gas for my stove, which I had forgotten to purchase in Salisbury.  Then I decided that it would be good to have some coffee before leaving town.  Now it was time to find the Valcarlos route and catch up with Lisa.  I’ve been quite worried that she is pushing herself to hard and will end up not being able to walk at some point.  I wander around for a bit, reading the guide book one of my clients gave to me.  I finally figure out the way to go and I’m off riding and I should mention puffing.  It is all uphill from here, 1400 km uphill!

I miss the directions in the book to use the old road which is D128 and end up riding the new highway, certainly not I-17, N135 toward Valcarlos.  It is a beautiful ride even though I’m riding in the lowest gears on the bike.  At this point I am very glad for having the bike re-geared when I purchased it.  It is a beautiful day about 70 degrees, blue skies, and a nice breeze.  As I reach the town of Arneguy I’m wondering why there is not sign of Lisa yet.  Surely she could not have waked that far or nor could I have passed her.  As I ride I think I hear my name being yelled.  My ears go up and I begin to look around, but see not one.  It sounded like it came from my right.  I turn around but, find no one so continue on.  Rounding the bend there is Lisa up ahead in a gas station.  Relieved at finding her she tells me that she took the old road that I have missed.  No matter we were now together and would continue the journey using the old road.

This road was pleasant enough for a while but, as old roads to we began to follow the contour of the land.  The new road is clearly in site and I see it remain fairly flat as we begin to climb and climb and climb.   Then we go down then up, and up, and up and down and down and down.  All the while we are doing this I’m pushing my bike in order not to leave Lisa behind.   Truth be told I’d not be riding my bike anyway as the climb is far too steep for riding.   We end up at what looks like a dead end, but find that the road drops so sharply away that it cannot be seen.  Now we go down a steep hill around a bend down toward the river bottom.  Once we cross the river we begin a steep upward climb to the town looming over us.  Lisa is gone as I struggle up the hill with my bike.  I do mean struggle which reminded me of the first trip to England and my first ride to Glastonbury.

The Camion began to teach me as soon as I reached Paris, but today the message was much clearer.  It always amazes me how the universe/God/whatever finds a way to what it is like when the shoe is on the other foot.  Enough said about that.   

No comments:

Post a Comment