Search This Blog

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Tomorrow Compostela

Wednesday, May 30th, 2012

We get up early then after having homemade breakfast in the Albergue Monasterio de La Magdalena down we go to the bus terminal.  The decision has been made to take the bus to Lavacolla then walk to Compostela which is only 7.5 km away.  We head, yet again, to Logo where we will transfer to the bus that will take us to Lavacolla.   Today we spend most to the day bussing through the Spanish state of Galicia.  Most to the telephone poles, church steeples, chimneys we pass have a stork nest in them.  We travel beside and new highway under construction but it seems to have not much in the way of constructing going on.  Lisa is asleep in the seat ahead of me and after typing a bit I think I’ll dose off also.

I am half wake, half asleep looking out the window watching the country side slide by.  I’m trying to make sense of this adventure and smile dreamily as pictures of Lisa and I having fun slowly play in my mind’s eye.   A tear sneaks out as the thought of our journey ending soon comes to mind.  SillyI think to myself.  We work in the same office and will be hanging out together soon.  But, what comes to mind is that I’ve had her to myself for almost three weeks now.  She has been someone to share, laughter, sadness, life, and ideas with which I’ve not had in a very long time.  Several times we have walked down the road holding hands with no need to speak.  Just walking and enjoying the silence, scenery, fresh air, azure sky, and each other.  From the time we joined in Paris to now I have been content.  Not worried about the things in life that distract me from just enjoying being.   Not being caught up in the things of the past, or allowing the worry about what tomorrow will bring to distract from this time together.  I am happy.

The bus stops at a wide spot in the road and we, along with several other pilgrims, head toward the path the drive pointed to.  We are back on the Camino de Santiago now heading towards Compostela.  It is late, we are hungry and discuss that if we get into Compostela to late there may not be a bed to be had.  We come up on a motel kind of place called Casa de Amancio smile and walk in.  After paying for our room we relax in the court yard with a lady from Canada.  We all have wine and are enjoying the breeze, sun and conversation.  There is also a fellow from Germany who tells us more information about his sex life then we need to know.  Lisa and I will be sharing a room again for the last time.  I go for a walk while Lisa takes a nap before dinner.  I find, what looks like, a broken walking stick on the side of the road.  After playing with it for a few minutes it’s as good a new.  I find beautiful park with a brook running through it and sun lite filtering through the trees.  I sit on an old stone bench in this serene space again thinking on the journey.

I meet an old man whose mule is pulling a wagon filled with what looks like Kale.  He sits and I go over to talk with him.  We do not speak each other’s language but manage to have a short conversation.  This is the first time I wish I could speak Spanish.  He has live in this area for a long time and met a lot of pilgrims.  I’m talking to walking history, but cannot understand much of what is said.  We say “Buenos Noches” and I head in for dinner.  Lisa and I enjoy dinner over another of our conversation about our lives, and then decide we do not have to rush tomorrow.  We return to our room, she on the couch and I at the table doing some typing.  She falls asleep so I pack up, wake her and we head off to our respective beds.


Buen Camino

No comments:

Post a Comment