Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Why The F.... Am I Doing This???

Tuesday, May 22, 2012
11:32 AM Arizona, 8:27 PM Spain

I am on the road by 8 AM today and hell bent on taking the highway.  Enough with the rocks, stones, mud, constant up the freaking mountains and short rides down.  The highway is flatter and I can make better time as I have a lot to make up.  I do?   I have been told by the inn keepers to say way from N-120 as it has a lot of trucks and cars going very fast.  I don’t care I want to get to Burgos and get a freaking train back to Paris.  Well I can’t find the entrance to the freaking highway so it’s back to the path I go.   More walking up the mountains, more rocks, gravel and more leap frog with the three young men from yesterday.  I now worry every time I shift gears the derailleur will break again, I’m worried I’ll get a flat, I’m worried that I will not find a place to stay for the night, and I’m worried about what has happened to Lisa.  This whole thing is for the birds.  What the fuck did I come here for?

The morning starts damp, cold and the sky is filled gray clouds.  Slowly it begins to clear so that by noon, the sun comes out and I can take off some of the layers of clothes I am wearing.  Riding is a little easier for a while then it’s time to do the mountain thing again.  Around 2 PM I begin riding the highway because it is easier than the path but the trucks wiz by very close to the shoulder, and most of the time there is little to know space for me to ride in.  I have no intention of going back on the Camino, which I’ve ridden for the past five days, so it’s the highway or bust.  Why am I riding the Camion; WHY?  No answer comes to me.  That’s just great my ass hurts, my feet hurt, my back hurts and I don’t know why I am here.  What’s up with that!  Things run through my head, which are dismiss, as reasons for doing this stupid break my ass “walk.”  “Buen Camion” they say when passing me by.  I’ll Buen Camion you right in the back of the head I think but, instead I smile and say “Thank you.”  Now I’m back on the path again because the highway closely follows it and I am less stressed.

Watching people limping along makes we wonder what is so important to them about doing this.  There is an older fellow, yes older than me, hobbling along can’t be walking more than 2 km it will take him months to get to the end.  On ward goes the trail more up then down when a group of us reach the highway again I’m riding it no matter how close the trucks come.  Riding!  There is a laugh I am freaking walking it more the riding again.  Up, up, up without end.  If I’d read the guide book I’d know that this is yet another high climb and should be stated early in the morning.  The summit is 1154 m finally I would be able to ride down.  I begin what seems to be the decent and see two things ahead of me.  One the decent is a short one before the road begins to climb yet again.  Next there is a broken down semi sticking out into the road which means riding around it into traffic.  Half way down the decent there is a Camino path which of course goes up hill.  My choice at this point is uphill or uphill.  I am done!  It is 5 PM, which means it is time to find a place to hide out for the night.  Oh what’s this a nice little roadside park with tables and running stream?  Yes it is, so here I’ll camp tonight.

The water is posted as Non Portable yet car after car stops fills up their drinking bottle and off they go.  Nope I don’t think so.  I set up camp, make dinner of Spaghetti, red pepper and onion with a little salt and pepper and half a bottle of wine from last night.  Truck traffic on the highway begins to lighten.  It is 9 PM and time for bed.


Buen Camino!

No comments:

Post a Comment