Search This Blog

Friday, May 17, 2019

May 13, 2019: Back to England

For the first time in five years, I will fly to London Heathrow and not to Dublin.  For some reason known only to the airport operators and the airlines flying into Heathrow was cheaper this year.  I encountered the first problem when Mark and I arrived at Skyharbor Airport, Terminal three.  It seems that Delta is one of two major airlines that fly from this terminal.  I had an 11 am flight, and the place was virtually empty.  Breezed through check-in and as is our custom we when in search of a restaurant for breakfast. There is only a little expensive coffee shop available everything else is on the other side of customs.  This left us with a teeny tiny little muffin and a small cupa reclassified as large.

We said our goodbyes, and I headed to the Precheck line for a very quick security check.  I then headed to the gate to wait for my flight.  About an hour later I was on board and settled into my aisle seat.  We took off on time so far, so good.  Arrived in St. Paul Minnesota on time, which was great since by the time we landed, according to my boarding pass, my flight to London would already be boarding.  I rush to my gate, which as not that far low and beholds they had not started boarding on time.  I’m one of the luckiest that get to board early so off I go.  I get to my assigned seat and do a double take of the seat I picked. NO! this can’t be correct.

I always chose an aisle seat for the flight from Phoenix to whatever airport I’m flying to Europe.  I ALWAYS chose a window seat for the flight to Europe so that I can lean my pillowed head up against the bulkhead.  The ticket shows I had chosen an aisle seat for the flight across the pond. NOOOOOO!  Well, that’s that I settle in and await my seatmate which is always worrisome.  Skinny kid slides up and without so much of a how do you do says, “That’s my seat!”  I get up and in he goes put his earphones in losing himself in his world.

O.K.!  We are off for London.  After dinner accompanied by three free glasses of wine, I can usually go to sleep.  Well, that’s not happening so I watch a couple of movies see if I’ll nod off. Not happening.  There is one empty window seat in the very back.  I ask one of the crew members, all of whom seemed to be over 60 if I could sit there.  After looking at me like a deer in the headlights, she points to a vacant aisle seat. I attempt to tell her I already have an aisle seat, but she doesn’t get it.  Back to my seat and manage about two hours of sleep and then watch another movie.
Heathrow: walk for about 20 minutes to reach customs.  Once there the line seems to go on forever and I sware that from now on no matter the cost I’m only flying into Dublin.  Get through customs, get my bag, head to the train station which is in a different terminal. Walk another 45 minutes again swearing only to fly into Dublin. Get to the train station can’t by a ticket to Salisbury one of the customer service people never heard of it. “I’m a London person,” she states as it that explains why she can’t help a customer.  At this point, I opt for the bus, and off I go to the Central Bus Station.  There I purchased a bus ticket to a town called Woking where I catch the train to Salisbury.  I’ve done this many times and usually the quickest way to get there.

Woking: It was an enjoyable ride as the day is beautiful, all sunshiny, blue skies, and gentle breezes.  I enter the train station, which is busier than I’ve ever seen it. The ticket line is out the door, people milling about in what seemed like confusion as to what to do.  I get myself into a queue to purchase my ticket.  I’ve checked out the train board which tells me my train is delayed.  No big deal trains are delayed a lot in the U.K.   Reaching the ticket agent he tells me my train may be delayed up to three hours. What the  hell I think and say to him, “no worries, I’ll get there when I get there.”  He laughs as if thankfully I’m not going to give him a ration of shit for the train being off.

On the train platform, I do not hear the usual “mind the gap announcement.”  There is nothing but announcements about canceled or delayed trains.  So I’m psyched up for a three hour way, but as luck would have it 45 minutes later, I’m on the train to Salisbury.  I seem someone got themselves run over by a train closer to London is why things are all mucked up.  Nice train ride car is warm due to the sun shining in the window, and I’m nodding off.  Every year I have brought home from my travels a minimum of 100 Pounds and 100 Euros to be used the following year.  I have looked in the places I usually stash the money but can’t find it so thinking I left it home.  I’m thinking of taking a cab asking the driver to stop by a bank to get some money.  Upon reaching Salisbury, I decide to walk and enjoy the day which I do

After a warm greeting by the staff at the college, it’s time for a nap.  I arrived at Heathrow at 7 am, and it is now 3 pm.  I decided to take dinner at the college and then settle in for a good nights sleep and that is just what I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment